Summer time hits and standing in the kitchen cooking super involved meals is no fun. I would much prefer to make a quick delicious option and get outside for some evening fun.
Eating vegetarian meals at least 3 nights a week is good for the planet, the pocket book and your health. This meal has been a staple in our home for many years and totally kid approved!
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
1 can coconut milk
1 can white rice (use the coconut milk can to measure your rice to get the correct ratio)
1 can + 1/4 can of water
2 cups of mango cubes
1 can of black turtle beans rinsed and drained
1 ripe avocado
1 bunch of kale, spinach or chard coarsley shredded
handful of cilantro
hot sauce (optional)
sea salt (optional)
1. Place rice, coconut milk, water and curry powder into a pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to minimum. Cook for 15 minutes stirring once at about the halfway point to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
2. While the rice is cooking, shred your greens, cut mango, avocado and shred cilantro and place aside.
3. Put a layer of greens in the bottom of your serving bowls.
4. Once rice is cooked (mixture should be creamy) add beans and mangoes and stir well!
5. Place cooked rice mixture into prepared bowls of greens, add avocado, cilantro, hot sauce, salt and enjoy!
It doubles great for lunches or another dinner on the run!
The kitchen of Flora & Kristy Ware.